Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles is designed for students to prepare for the ASE Certification Test A2. However, students can take this course strictly to enhance their skills and knowledge as well. It is expected that students will be working in a shop environment in order to get the hands-on experience needed while going through the course and gaining the knowledge and theory of automatic transmissions and transaxles. This course will be using digital content from the publisher Goodheart-Willcox, and the digital book Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles, 5th Edition by Chris Johanson and James E Duffy, Copyright 2021.
Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles covers the design, construction, operation, diagnosis, service, and repair of these major components. This course details both hydraulic and electronic transmission controls, with extensive coverage of electronic control systems, and includes information on continuously variable transmissions and manual shift programs. This text is a valuable resource for anyone who needs a thorough understanding of today’s automatic transmissions and transaxles, including those preparing for ASE Certification Test A2, Automatic Transmission/Transaxle.
- Correlates to the Automatic Transmission and Transaxle section of the 2017 ASE Education Foundation Task List.
- Color-coded illustrations throughout the text enhance student understanding.
- Emphasizes the use of the latest diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot electronic transmission and transaxle control systems.
1. Introduction to Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles
2. Shop Safety and Environmental Protection
3. Special Service Tools and Service Information
4. Gears, Chains, and Bearings
5. Sealing Materials, Fasteners, and Lubricants
6. Hydraulics and Pneumatics
7. Basic Electricity and Electronics
8. Automatic Transmission Mechanical Components
9. Automatic Transmission Control Components
10. Automatic Transaxle Construction and Operation
11. Transmission and Transaxle Circuits
12. Electronic Control Systems
13. Troubleshooting Mechanical, Hydraulic, and Electrical Problems
14. Troubleshooting Electronic Control System Problems
15. Transmission and Transaxle In-Vehicle Service
16. Transmission and Transaxle Removal and Installation
17. Rebuilding Automatic Transmissions and Transaxles
18. Automatic Transaxle Final Drive Service
19. Electronic Control System Service
20. ASE Certification
21. Career Preparation