Diesel Engine Technology is designed for students to prepare to become a diesel engine technician. It is expected that students will be working in a shop environment in order to get the hands-on experience needed while going through the course and gaining the knowledge and theory of diesel engine technology. This course will be using digital content from the publisher Goodheart-Willcox, and the digital book Diesel Engine Technology, 9th Edition by James P. Mack, Jason A. Daniels, Mark A. DeHart, and Andrew Norman, Copyright 2022.
Diesel Engine Technology covers the design, construction, operation, diagnosis, service, and repair of both mobile and stationary diesel engines with a simple-to-understand presentation to prepare students for entry-level employment as diesel engine technicians. Content relates to on- and off-road vehicles, as well as marine, agricultural, and industrial applications. This text is a valuable resource for anyone involved in the service and repair of diesel engines, as well as those preparing for ASE Medium/Heavy Truck Test T2—Diesel Engines, Test T6—Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Test T8—Preventive Maintenance Inspection.
- Correlates to the Diesel Engines, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Preventive Maintenance Inspection sections of the 2018 ASE Educational Foundation Medium/Heavy Duty Truck Task List and features the ASE Educational Foundation Required Supplemental Tasks and Workplace Employability Skills.
- Provides coverage of single and dual actuated electronic unit injectors, common rail and amplified common rail injection systems, HEUI, unit pump, and Cummins HPI-TP fuel injection systems, wiring and electronic system service.
- Includes the latest standards for diesel engine oils, ultra-low sulfur fuel, and biodiesel fuel.
1. Introduction to Diesel Engines
2. Shop Safety
3. Tools, Precision Tools, and Fasteners
4. Principles of Engine Operation
5. Engine Blocks
7. Pistons, Rings, and Connecting Rods
8. Cylinder Heads and Related Components
9. Camshaft and Valve Train Components
10. Lubrication Systems
11. Cooling Systems
12. Air Intake Systems
13. Exhaust Systems
14. Diesel Fuels
15. Basic Fuel Systems
16. Fuel Filters and Conditioners
17. Injection Systems Fundamentals
18. Injection Nozzles
19. Multiple Plunger Inline Injection Pumps
20. Distributor Injection Pumps
21. Unit Injection Fuel Injection Systems
22. Basics of Electricity
23. Electronic Engine Controls and Fuel Injection
24. Diesel Engine Charging Systems
25. Diesel Starting Systems
26. Engine Reassembly and Installation
27. Preventive Maintenance and Troubleshooting
28. Career Opportunities and ASE Certification
29. Workplace Employability Skills